Skip to content
QUALIFICATIONS FOR CADET ENROLLMENT
- Citizenship. All prospective cadets must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States. If an applicant is a foreign national with permanent residency status, they must present their Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) at the time of enrollment.
- NLCC. Applicants must be 10 years old but not yet 14 years old to enroll in the Navy League Cadet Corp (NLCC).
- NSCC. Applicants for the Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) must be at least 13 years old but must not have reached their 18th birthday. Commanding officers should discourage high school seniors within six months of graduation from enrolling, since their advancement potential is limited. Age waiver requests for prospective cadets over 18 will be submitted by letter to the Executive Director via the chain of command.
- Note. Unit commanding officers may choose to enroll a 13 year old applicant as a League Cadet or as a Sea Cadet at their discretion, taking into consideration what will be most beneficial for the potential cadet’s training and advancement.
- Physical Examination. Applicants must undergo a physical examination similar to a high school sports examination. The Report of Medical History and the Report of Medical Examination, as well as the Medical History Supplemental and Request for Accommodation (if required), which are part of the Cadet Application(NSCADM 001), will be used to record the results of the self-assessment and examination. Refer to NSCC Medical Reference Manual for guidance.
- Immunizations: Although not a requirement, the NSCC highly encourages potential cadets to be inoculated. When completing the Cadet Application Form (NSCADM 001), the Medical History instructions indicate proof of immunization for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, pertussis and tetanus, plus diphtheria and Menactra vaccine for meningitis. If the parent/guardian elect not to inoculate their child/children a waiver is required for approval by the Executive Director.
- Education. Applicants must be enrolled in school, either public, private or a sanctioned home-school program and have a satisfactory scholastic standing.
- Moral Character. Applicants must possess good moral character, be unmarried, not pregnant, drug-free, and have no record of any criminal charges or convictions.
- The objectives and purposes of the NSCC/NLCC program and the benefits available to their sons and daughters through participation.
- The relationship of the NSCC/NLCC to the Navy, other military services and the Navy League or other sponsoring organizations with a short discussion of support provided. Parents need to be made aware of the costs involved to include annual enrollment fees, cost of meals during training, billeting, transportation to and from training, uniform costs, and any other related expenses that may be applicable to the program or unit.
- Drill attendance requirements, personal appearance (particularly haircuts/hair styling) and the need for parental support in these matters.
- The NSCC accident insurance program. Explain to the parent/guardian what the program covers in relation to illness or injury.
- The need for parental/guardian support of unit activities to include unit social functions, ceremonial occasion, etc. Please note, this is not the same as direct involvement in such events, for which adults must be enrolled as Instructors.
- The possibility of the parents/guardians affiliating with the unit as officers or instructors. Also, emphasize the role of the sponsoring Navy League Council or the role of the supporting organization, in support of the unit, and suggest that they become members of the sponsoring organization.
- The standard release part of the Cadet Application (NSCADM 001) and its purpose. If the parents/guardians will not sign the form, the applicant may not enroll.
- For medical and physical fitness requirements, refer to the NSCC Medical Policies and Procedures Manual.
ADULT VOLUNTEER/OFFICER ENROLLMENTS
- Our Officer Corps provides adult leadership for our NSCC and NLCC cadets. Officers are dedicated volunteers who instruct cadets, operate units and escort cadets when participating in events away from their home unit.
- In order to join the USNSCC Officer Corps applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a US Citizen
- Be at least 21 years old (or become an NSCC Midshipman if you are between the ages of 18-21)
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be free of felony convictions
- Adult applicants must be in good health commensurate with their age group and be free from any ailment or condition that would prevent them from satisfactorily performing their primary duty of supervising youth. Adults not physically qualified to perform all duties may still participate with a waiver from NHQ considering the parameters of their expected contribution to the USNSCC program.
- Officers may either be civilians or military (active, reserve or retired) who enjoy working with youth and are interested in ensuring that their training experience is of the highest caliber. Instructors are also recruited from reserve military commands and leaders within the community. Members of the Naval Reserve may qualify for drill credit and active duty for training (ADT) orders for participating in NSCC/NLCC activities.
- We do not require a specific level of education or professional qualification, but applicants with nautical/military experience are highly desired. Parents also make outstanding volunteers and we invite them to explore the opportunity.
- Adult officers are required to register online and complete the online “Officer/Midshipmen Guide” (OMSG) located on the Quarterdeck.SeaCadets.org login.
- Officers are authorized to wear Navy officer uniforms (modified with the NSCC or NLCC insignia). All officers are appointed by USNSCC National Headquarters.
ENROLLMENTS and UNIFORM FEES
- Cadets: first year $150.00 enrollment; re-enrollment $100.00 per year;
- Lost ID replacement $12.00 (Cadet & Adult)
- Adults: first year and re-enrollment $40.00;
- Cadets: One-time fee for Uniform Issue (three uniforms-NWUs, Service Dress White and Winter Blue–replaced as out-grown) Deposit $94—refundable upon return of all uniforms in good condition.
- Adults: Alternate (navy over khaki) and NAVY Uniforms at own expense.
NOTE: Navy uniforms REMAIN PROPERTY OF THE NAVY and are “on loan” only.